Monday, April 25, 2011

A New Civil War Corset

I have grand plans for this summer! I'm hoping to attend Under the Red Coat in Williamsburg and the Gettysburg reenactment. I have plans for the costumes I'd like to make, but I feel like posting my intentions and project plans would jinx getting them completed in time. Since none of my costumes are currently fitting, this means I need to start from the inside out. So first up: a new civil war corset.I decided to try Simplicity 2890 because it has some extended sizes and I wouldn't have to size-up the pattern. I made pretty quick progress this weekend, and have completely assembled the corset, added the gores, and sewn in the boning tape. Below is a shot of the completed bust gores:I'm over half way done setting in the grommets, but had to take a break since I bruised my hands with my eyelet tool.

I have to say that so far I'm not that impressed with this pattern. I ordered boning according to the back of the pattern, but they don't fit (they're about 2-3 inches too short). I also don't like that this is a single-layer corset, and that the gores are one-size-fits all instead of different cup sizes. I've now tried all three Simplicity corset patterns (the current pattern, Martha McCain's 5726, and Martha McCain's 7215). My pink satin corset from Simplicity 7215 remains my favorite (I may have to redraft the pattern and make it again).


Time Traveling in Costume said...

I have a lot of respect for anyone who makes a corset. Its still a mystery to me how to properly fit and make them work for you. So different than just making the gown.
Good luck. It looks good so far.

Costume Diva said...

I have to say, it's almost dumb luck the way my civil war corsets always seem to fit (I haven't bothered with a lot of fittings, unlike my 18th century stays). In my rush on this corset, I think it may be a bit too small. It'll work, but there's more of a gap in the back than is ideal. More photos to come.