Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Plotting!!


Hi All!!! Well, I haven't been sewing very much lately. I must admit that I have been distracted by visitors and traveling about. I haven't felt very inspired to finish trimming my 18th century gown, and the thought of working on my civil war gown with the horrible pattern I have is depressing.

So....

I'm planning my next project!! I want to make a Tudor gown (this was the time of Henry VIII and his six wives). I already have the pattern and have selected the fabric I want to use. I'm using a great red brocade, with gold brocade undersleeves and underskit:

For the oversleeves, I'll use a matching deep red velvet. Now I just have to save up the money for the fabulous fabric.

I'll need to make a linen shift to go underneath the gown: the puffy sleeves of the shift are pulled through the slashings of the sleeves to show through. If I have the patience, I could also do blackwork (or spanish embroidery) to complete the look of the shift. I have no clue where to get the pattern for the chemise, and would like to avoid purchasing another pattern, but the well known elizabeth 'smock' generator doesn't have the required puffy sleeves. I'm planning on trying to use my 18th century stays instead of making yet another corset, and I've already got a set of farthingales (aka hoops from the time period).

For accessories: I'm going to make a french hood to go with the dress, and I've also found a great place to purchase necklaces/girdles/and billaments for the dress called Sapphire and Sage.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. You don't know me at all - I'm a friend of Anna's whos been secretly lurking on your journal (I'm another costume geek.) I just wanted to recommend another on-line 16th century chemise pattern: http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/chemise.html
This one is technically italian, but it does have big poofy sleeves, so I thought it might be helpful.

Anonymous said...

My husband sense is tingling...

Sandy, after reviewing your website I have this to say: I absolutely forbid you to reveal to Melissa how you managed to talk Jeff into a period costume.

I'm thinking some form of mind control was probably involved.

Costume Diva said...

Hi Sandy!

Welcome to the blog. Feel free to comment anytime, and thank you for the link to the chemise website. It actually looks very promising. I was starting to look at buying a comercial pattern, but I feel I should be able to make the chemise without one.

Unknown said...

Hello, do you know where you could buy
the red cross pattern fabric like the one you posted above? Thank you
Best regards
Nicholas

Costume Diva said...

Hi Nicholas. I recommend trying ebay. Renaissance fabrics has an ebay store with lots of brocade fabrics.

Slow Cooking Recipes said...

Thanks for a great reaad