Thursday, October 20, 2005

Indian Sari


While not technically a costume, and definitely not 'historical', I got out a sari project this weekend.

This all began after watching "Bride and Prejudice." If you haven't seen it, you really should. It's by the same director as "Bend it Like Beckham," and is another story about westerners encountering India. It's based of off Pride and Prejudice, and was great! I got a kick out of the Indian Ballywood-style dance/song scenes, including songs like "take them to love" and "thank you for getting this marriage into town."
Anyway, the Indian-themed weekend made me want to play dress-up, and I remembered that my dad had brought me back a sari from one of his trips, and it was buried at the bottom of my fabric box. I got it out, roll hemmed the raw edges (see below), and then learned to put it on.
I don't have a matching choli (top) or petticoat, but it was fun to get out and play with!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should put this outfit on, make a video of yourself dancing around, and then we'll set the whole thing to music with the song "I'm Sorry" and send it to America's Funniest Home Videos.

This message has been approved by the campaign to elect Jerry Kilgore.

Costume Diva said...

Who the heck is Jerry Kilgore?? (other than some person running for Governor of Virginia).