Monday, June 27, 2005

Gown Coming together


The robe francaise is coming together very nicely! The lining is attached to the completed dress. I'm in the process of sewing on the sleeve flounces, and then I'll need to sew up the stomacher. A quick hem, and the gown will be ready to wear. I'll still have lots of trim to add the dress, some of which I still need to buy, but I'm very happy with the way the dress is coming together.

My biggest gripe so far about the pattern was when I sewed in the side extension and pleats. This part isn't visible on this picture, but the instructions were very confusing, and I walked through the process about 6 times before I finally figured out what I was supposed to be doing. There was a neck binding piece that was also very frustrating because I had to take it out and redo it several times due to unclear instructions. Despite these issues, the gown is fitting nicely, and I can't wait for the final product! See the pretty back pleats below.

Does everyone agree with me that I MUST have a fan to go with this outfit? I've also got to figure out what to do with my hair since my haircut is all wrong for the time period. I could probably make a little lace cap, pin my hair back, and then cover it all with the cap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, your experiences has proved very helpful to me trying to make this gown and completely agree that the instructions in places are so difficult to follow! I was wondering if you can you help me? We are at the stage of doing the pleating with the side extensions to create the pockets in the gown and wonder whether the pleat folding is done on the right side of the gown or the wrong side? Please help many thanks. my email is a.cockerton@virgin.net