Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Robe Anglaise


AAaaaah! Someone save me from myself. If I had a million dollars...

JP Ryan, the master of 18th century clothing, has just come out with a new pattern! It's for a Robe Anglaise...a gown very popular toward the end of the 18th century. It has teeny tiny little cartridge pleats along the back, and instead of wearing side hoops, you wear a small bum roll. You can check out the pattern at this link:

http://www.jpryan.com/details/anglaise.html

I like view B. I haven't bought the pattern, and have no plans to in the near future (too many other things I would like to sew first), but ooooohh!! Maybe someday...

This is definitely on my wish list. Posted by Hello

4 comments:

Valentine said...

It looks like the fabric for that one could cost you a small fortune!
Gorgeous dress.

Inoui said...

I could make one out of cotton...of course now that I've found Denver fabrics sale page, I can almost buy silk for the same price as cotton. Hmm...

Valentine said...

Well then buy silk! If you're going to put the time into making something like that, you certainly shouldn't skimp on the fabric, and clearly that gown benefits from being made of some seriously nice material.
When you come to NY you will probably want to visit the costume collection at the Metropolitan Museum...

Anna said...

That silk I got on sale from Denver fabrics would look awfully good for this dress .... only $6 a yard ... it is caaaaaaalling to you ... caaaaaaalling ...