Sunday, September 19, 2004

Completed 18th Century Curaco


Completed outfit.

Once again, I used JP Ryan's pattern and would highly recommend it to anyone. I had a bit of a tricky time fitting the jacket, but the garment turned out beautifully! It's fully lined, and I added the optional polonaise buttons, ruching strip, and sleeve flouces. This was the first time I'd ever worked with linen, and I found it very easy to work with. Later on I may buy some pre-quilted fabric for a quilted petticoat to go underneath the skirt (it helps reduce the appearance of the hoops). Posted by Hello

3 comments:

Anna said...

This dress looks FABULOUS on you!! And I think that the accessories really complete the outfit - it looks quite pulled together with the cute matching hat!!

brocadegoddess said...

The inconsistencies of early modern terminology strike again I see! Why do they have to have made life so hard for those of us studying that past!? lol I'd be very interested in knowing your source for the term "curaco/curacau"? I've only ever seen so far as "caraco". I'll have to make a point of looking out for it from now on!

And do please tell me where you got your bergere, it looks like a nice one and would save me a helluva lot of work to get a ready made straw form.

I love the colour combo of this ensemble, btw, so fresh and "french provencal" looking!

Costume Diva said...

Hi Brocade Goddess!!

I got my bergere at Williasmburg. You should be able to order one from their website. I just used a hat pin and pinned up the back of the hat to give it a bit more flair.

Thank you for all your kind complements! About the Curaco...that's the way the JP Ryan pattern was printed, so that's the name I went with. If you have research showing another spelling, it's probably equally valid.