Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Upcoming Project: Elizabethean Gown


Shakespeare in Love Dress Posted by Hello

Yet another pattern by Simplicity - this one inspired by Viola's dress in the movie "Shakespeare in Love." The cartridge pleates alone were enough to get me hooked. However, I'm not planning on making this dress exactly as shown on the cover of the pattern. I think I would rather use velvet or a brocade instead of dupioni. I've also never seen any illustrations of period gowns where the bodice was made of a completely different fabric. However, since I'm starting with a pattern that I know is more for show then historical accuracy, I'm not going to sweat the authenticity too much, and just find something pretty. I already have finished the bum roll and farthingale that accompanied this pattern (I figured while I was ordering steel hooping, why not get enough for the farthingale).

There are great advanced instructions on this gown at farthingales: http://www.farthingales.on.ca/elizabethan.php

No comments: